Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lists Are Fun!

I'm going to be honest: I'm stealing the idea for this blog post from my friend Maria, who's also new down here in Bolivia. She was telling me the things she's thought of that she hasn't done since she's arrived here and it got me to thinking, what haven't I done since I arrived? 


Here's the list, thus far:

  • Worn a seatbelt - they just don't have them!
  • Eaten a hamburger, or any fast food for that matter
  • Driven a car
  • Used my cell phone. At all.
  • Gotten my eyebrows waxed/hair cut/highlighted
  • Gone to the mall/gone clothes shopping
  • Gotten a pedicure; most of you know how important that is to me
  • Watched TV. Seriously. Not a single minute. 
  • Used a dishwasher - I am now the dish washer
  • Gone to a movie
  • Used a dryer, which is becoming more of a problem as my clothes get bigger on me
  • Sang karaoke :(
  • Flushed toilet paper
  • Gone to Target!!!
  • Used any kind of dairy substitute/soy - it tastes nasty down here
And here's a list of things I've done here that never happen in the States:
  • Talked to my students openly and freely about Jesus Christ!
  • Found cockroaches in my bedroom
  • Had a fireworks show outside my window 3-5 times a week, much to our guard dog's chagrin
  • Had to soak veggies in disinfectant before eating them
  • Get whistled at/hit on wherever I go; I could get used to this!
  • Stay plugged into the wall to get internet - my wifi stinks!
  • Had fresh flowers at my place every week; huge bouquets cost about $1.50
  • Boil water in order to drink it
  • Walk to go EVERYWHERE!
I'm sure there will be more "I've Nevers" to add to this list. We're going camping with the 7-12th graders in a couple weeks and I'll get to add "I've never gone camping with 80 students in the ANDES MOUNTAINS before" Pictures to come, I'm sure :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent post! So much info in so little space. I request student stories, as you brainstorm on what to write about... :)

    ReplyDelete