Thursday, September 8, 2011

Why Did the Amoeba Cross the Road?

It was time to split.

Maybe someday I'll see the humor in that joke. For now, it's a little too close to home.
I write this as I'm waiting to go to the hospital to figure out what in the world is wrong with me. I mean, I've had stomach bugs before, heck, I've been allergic to dairy for the past few years, but this, THIS is something entirely different. Without going into details, I will just let you know that I'm taking two, perhaps three, days off of work. And while I'm not one of those "I've been to work every day for the past 10 years and have never taken a sick day" people, I still feel badly doing it down here. We don't have a big, plushy substitute teacher system. We just have our already stretched teachers who fill in for me during their prep hours. So, while I'm laying here on my couch and intermittently running to the bathroom, they're teaching my classes.

Sickness aside, things have been going great here. Really! I love having my own apartment. My friends, Beth and Maria live about 100 feet away so I can drop in on them or have a movie night whenever we want. But coming back to my laptop and Skype and making meals for one has a certain je na sais quoi to it. My classes are going well, too. My 7th graders are learning latitude and longitude and making paper mache globes, my 8th graders are starting Mesopotamia, 9th grade is digging into Ancient Greek culture and my 10th graders are dealing with the age old question of nature versus nurture. Even on days like yesterday, when I was completely whipped and my head was on my desk at 3 o'clock, I remembered how much I love to teach! I'm also helping with the girls volleyball team, which has stirred the unused muscles in my right arm and reminded me how much I love the game! There's no softball team here (boo!) but I may help out with girls basketball when the time comes. I'm also looking at being the student council advisor. When I found out that their main goal is to plan events, I perked right up!

So, all that to say that God is faithful; even in an amoeba-infested country. I can feel so many of your prayers and God is sustaining me through them. Keep 'em coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment