Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January Update!

So for 2012, I'm going to start doing a monthly update on here. I didn't want to start your hopes too high by posting this too early in the month. It now being the 31st, I thought it was perfect timing!


A lot has happened this month and I'm freaked out that tomorrow is February! I had a great ending to my Christmas break including my first NYE with Bolivian friends and playing games with them until 6am, lunches and coffees with friends that I don't get to see very often and of course, lesson planning. I'm seriously so excited for next year when I have all these lessons, ideas, worksheets, projects and assignments ready to dish out and not have to do a lot of research. It will be a big load off my shoulders! 


What am I teaching right now, you ask? Well my 7th grade Geography class is learning the ins-and-outs of Canada while my 8th grade history students are delving into Ancient Greece. My 9th graders are in the middle of a 6-week long unit on the Middle Ages, including cooking Medieval food and learning Gregorian chants. And my 10th grade Sociology/Psychology class is doing a unit on conformity where they've done some fun video projects testing the "Bystander Effect" and we're wrapping up the unit by learning about cults. If that's not a diverse group of topics, I don't know what is! 


Something that has taken up a ton of time and energy, but I'm loving every minute of it, is our school musical. I've taken on the role of director, but I'm getting tons of help from other teachers at the school. We've been blessed with the help of a musical director who is amazing and our vice principal is helping me with the delights of blocking and non-verbal acting. In case you didn't see on Facebook, I chose Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" and the kids are ecstatic, which makes it all the more fun for me! I've got "The Secret Garden" and "Anne of Green Gables" in my back pocket for next year, :) 


Many of you have been asking how you can pray for me, so I've put together a list below of ways that it would really bless me if you prayed specifically for:


1 - Improved health! Please pray that I can start eating again and get to a doctor to find out what's wrong with me. Unfortunately, I've fallen sick again. I guess amoebas and giardia are the gift that keeps on giving down here... I'm hoping to be back at 100% sooner than later. 
2 - Stamina with all the hats I am wearing: teaching four subjects, student council adviser, drama director, mentor, friend, future wife (?). Just kidding on that last one.
3 - Working with a couple very difficult students, both 10th grade boys. Please pray for me to have patience with them and show them Christ's love in a new way. 
4 - For some reason, homesickness has reared its ugly head after months of not being here. Please pray that I will focus on my ministry here and be able to hang on until I'm home this summer!


Thank you all for your support, emails, FB comments, FB "likes", FB messages, prayers and continued love for me while I'm down here. It means more to me than I can say.


Love you all and miss you tons ~ B


Here are some pictures of me at the Cristo statue in town. 
All props go to my friend Maria for taking these great shots. Enjoy!


It was a perfect day to head up to the Cristo!


On the gondola ride with Maria and our tutor/friend, Roxana

Tallest statue of Cristo in the world and He's right in my backyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment